Thursday 30 December 2021

2021 - A Lost Year

Here we are at the end of another year. 

2021 had passed by in the blink of an eye. I certainly didn't have time to reflect on the year that was - the wins, hits and misses. 

(1) Resurrected my writing stint with Herald (July 2021)

I used to work as a full-time journalist with Herald circa 2001, but left after 1.5 years to join the corporate sector.

Now that a close friend has been appointed as the Editor in July, she had asked me to help with the reporting, which I gladly accepted. 

In November, I began a monthly column in Herald titled, 'Faithfully Speaking'. God only knows how long I'll be able to sustain the column, but as the Bible says, nothing is impossible for God.

(2) Commenced postgraduate studies (July 2021)

A prelate said in his sermon that the pandemic lockdown is a time of grace which has been given to us, and that we should make good use of this time which we will not get back again. 

After listening to that sermon, and motivated by my circumstances of working from home (indefinitely), I decided to invest in myself by enrolling in a long-distance MBA programme. 

The assessment for each module comprises of 70% assignment and 30% written examination, the latter being a 24-hour open book examination. As a person who dislike exams (read my challenges to obtain the Chartered Banker qualifications in item No. 5 below), this long distance MBA programme is ideal for me. However, since it is not an in-person MBA programme, I don't get the full impact and experience of discussing case studies with fellow course mates.  

(3) Completed two doses of vaccine on 4 August 2021 

I wanted to be one of the last few in the country to take the vaccine so that others may take it first. However, since our turn to take the vaccine is determined by the MySejahtera app, I decided to go with the flow.

I wanted to get Pfizer vaccine because I was under the impression that it is widely accepted in many countries, which would make my global gallivanting easier once international borders reopened. Thanks to an acquaintance who has a wide network of connections, I was able to get the vaccine. 

After the first jab, I suffered excruciating back pain that I could not get up whenever I laid down. I had to hold onto the sides and with a deep breath pull myself up. Getting up from bed takes a couple of minutes each morning. My menstrual cycle also became haywire, now early by 5 days each month. I suffered breakouts between my jawline and the bottom of my face. With all these complications I decided not to take the booster shot.

(4) Completed Chartered Banker Diploma (September 2021)

The journey from Professional Banker to Chartered Banker was a long and arduous journey. I certainly wouldn't want to do this again. 

Update: I recorded my experience of studying for the Chartered Banker Diploma and posted it on my LinkedIn in August 2022:

"I received my Chartered Banker ("CB") qualification in June 2022. It was a long journey that thought me the importance of staying focus, changing tactics and not giving up. In order to receive the the CB qualification, candidates had to complete three modules which includes a compulsory, 'Professionalism, Ethics & Regulation' ("PER") module. Having completed two modules, PER was the final one that I had to complete in order to become a CB. Unfortunately I had sat for the exam thrice but did not make it. I was always short of 2 or 3 marks to pass. After the third unsuccessful attempt, I had to change tactics, because insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Since the PER module consists of 70% written examination and 30% assignment, I decided to redo my assignment. The decision paid off because my assignment scored higher marks than the initial one, and I finally pulled through the PER module! The three takeaways from this experience are: 1) Stay focused. It is easy to lose focus on our goals especially after failures and disappointments. But we need to keep our eye on the prize and don't let other distractions lure us away from our goal. 2) Change tactics. If what you have been doing is not bearing the results that you desire, perhaps it is time to reflect on what you have been doing wrong and make changes. 3) Don't give up. Few of my colleagues gave up pursuing the CB qualification after failing one module. They were afraid they will continue failing. Some of them lost interest along the way. If you are thinking of throwing in the towel, think instead of the satisfaction of success if you had trudged on and hadn't given up. Good luck!"

(5) Appeared on Conversation Hour (October 2021)

I accepted the invitation to appear on Conversation Hour because a BEC member had asked me.  

Conversation Hour is a weekly talk-show on Facebook where guests from different backgrounds are invited to share their reflection on pre-determined Bible verses. The topic that I shared about was on the parable of the talents (Matthew 25: 14 - 30).

It was the first time appearing on a live talk show. The one thing I learnt from the experience is the importance of preparation. It is crucial to prepare talking points and rehearse your heart out.

----------------------------------------------------------

Now that we are on the onset of another new year, I pray and hope that we will always be healthy in body, mind and soul. And that our economy and livelihoods will improve.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...