Saturday, 3 May 2025

How I purchased a last-minute ticket to the Alhambra

The Alhambra is one of the most visited monuments in Spain. Therefore, tickets are sold out quickly and many websites and social media platforms recommend buying tickets in advance.

Court of the Myrtles (Patio de los Arrayanes). The reflection and symmetry of the reflective pool were designed to evoke serenity and perfection - hallmarks of Nastrid architecture.

When my trip to Spain in May 2025 was confirmed, I attempted numerous times to purchase tickets for the Alhambra, but the website was consistently down. When the travel date approached and I still don't have a ticket, I though of buying it physically at the Alhambra.

Hall of the Abencerrajes (Sala de los Abencerrajes) in the Palace of the Lions at the Alhambra.

Alas, when I checked into the hostel at Granada, a staff member informed that tickets to the Alhambra were sold out for the next few months. I was disappointed. Was my trip to Granada going to be incomplete without visiting the Alhambra? :-(

However, the staff gave me a valuable tip: everyday at midnight, 300 tickets become available on the website. The tickets are for the day's entry into the Alhambra and allocated across different time slots throughout the day. 

She also informed that there'll be a rush for tickets during that time resulting in heavy traffic on the website and many unsuccessful attempts. Apparently another guest had been trying for three consecutive days without any luck. It sounded hopeless, but it was worth a try!

Court of the Lions (Patio de los Leones) is one of the most recognisable parts of the Alhambra.

When the clock struck midnight I logged into the website. But the site kept spewing the same message that it's experiencing high traffic and to try again later. After numerous tries, I dozed off. 

At around 4:00pm, I awoke with a start (probably still jet lagged) and remembered what I was doing before dozing off. I quickly logged into the website, and lo and behold, there were 5 tickets available for the 10:30am slot! Without any hesitation, I purchased a ticket and went back to sleep.

According to Copilot, the central inscription reads the famous Nastrid motto: "Wa lā ghāliba illā Allāh" (ولا غالب إلا الله) which translates to “There is no victor but God.”

At the Alhambra, I couldn't help but think how blessed I am to be able to get a ticket in spite of the challenges. Many travelers did not visit the Alhambra simply because they couldn't get tickets.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...