Friday 23 October 2009

Boat Ride in Oslo

David was supposed to take me bike riding to Bergen. But he hurt his back a couple of days before I got to Oslo. So in the end we decided to cancel the trip as the 489 km journey on a bike to Bergen through bumpy and winding roads would make his back worst.

Instead we went boat riding in the fjords near Hovik.

We left the apartment towards the later part of the morning. I put on my riding gear,


hopped onto the Honda Goldwing


and zoomed off. Of course I didn't ride the bike myself cause I don't have a motorbike license. I just hung onto David's tummy and pretended to look like a hot biker chick.

Soon we reached the marina where there were rows of different types of pleasure boats.


Luckily there's a special name where you dock lovely boats like these. Otherwise it would be sacrilege to call a place like this a 'jetty' because to me, the word 'jetty' conjures images of dirty ships and sampans floating on equally dirty water.


We met up with Richard who was the one who invited us to ride in his super cool speed boat.

Soon we were on our way.

As we headed out towards the fjords, the boat ride was so bumpy that I had to hang on for dear life.

I remember the last time I had a similar bumpy boat ride was a couple of years back when I was in Sabah. I was travelling in a small boat from Manukan Island to Kota Kinabalu during the monsoon season. It was drizzling and the weather was dark and stormy.

The waves were strong and huge and were banging onto the boat in a head on collision. Even the scariest rollercoaster ride is nothing compared to being in the middle of nature's fury.

By the time I reached Kota Kinabalu jetty my body felt like someone had taken my organs out, kicked them around a bit and put them back into my body again. I was completely drenched and my cellphone was wet and spoiled.

Anyway, enough about my boat ride story in Kota Kinabalu. Let's continue about boat riding in Scandinavian Norway.

The Norwegians are great boating people. Many people own a boat here - wheather it's a sampan, a kayak, a speed boat, a catamaran, a yacht or even a luxury cruise liner.

Their great passion for boating is probably due to their viking heritage; think Hagar the Horrible cartoon strip.

Because of the fine weather and being a Saturday, many Norwegians were hanging out with family and friends on their boat.



Some took the opportunity to go kayaking:


I like this yacht cause it reminds me of the movie Mamma Mia!:


I also saw many beautiful houses like this one:

There were also pretty houses on the hills overlooking the fjords:


I saw this sign (guess why it intrigued me) and asked Richard what it meant. It means to go slowly. I couldn't help chuckling to myself.


After almost 2 hours riding in the boat, we reached Aker Brygge where we had a late lunch before heading back to where we started.

I didn't take any photos at Aker Brygge cause I left my camera in the boat. What to do ... by the time we reached Aker Brygge it was already 4.00pm and we were starving. So the only thing on my mind at that time was food.

Nevertheless, I'll leave you with a picture of me camwhoring on Richard's lovely speed boat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The speed boat looks gorgeous and the scenery is amazing. I hope I can have a vacation in this place. I really love to go to a boat tour. My last one was with my kids in a dolphins argyll tour. I want another one this year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...