Tuesday 19 March 2024

Malta to Sicily with Virtu Ferries

During my trip to the Mediterranean in November, I visited Malta, the island of Sicily (in Italy) and Tunis (capital of Tunisia).

From Malta, I travelled to Sicily on Virtu Ferries.

Since it was the low season, there was only one ferry which departs Valletta (in Malta) at 5:00am, and arrives at Pozzallo (in Sicily) at 6:45am. 

I was glad that Virtu Ferries also provides a coach transfer from Pozzallo to Catania (capital of Sicily). The journey was approximately 1 hour 45 minutes and saves passengers the hassle of having to look for transport from Pozzallo to Catania.

This is the route from Malta to Catania:

I took the ferry from Virtu Ferries Passenger Terminal in Malta to Pozzallo, and then onwards to Catania by coach. 

The day before my ferry was scheduled to depart from Valletta, I received an SMS saying that the departure time has been brought forward to 4:00am (original time was 5:00am) due to bad weather. And the coach from Pozzallo to Catania will arrive at 8:45am.

Since foot passengers are required to be at the passenger terminal 1 hour before the ferry departs, I didn't want to be late and left my hostel in Valletta early around 2:15am. I booked a Bolt and reached Virtue Ferries Passenger Terminal around 2.30am.

This is the passenger terminal:



I was around 30 minutes early and there was no one else around at that time:

It is always good to be early when catching planes, buses and ferries.


When the gates opened at 3:00am, I showed my boarding pass and passport to the personnel and proceeded to board the vessel named Saint John Paul II:

Virtu Ferries must have strong connections with the Vatican. Both Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis have made visits on board the ferries.


Saint John Paul II vessel has 3 levels, as shown in the Evacuation Plan:



It was free seating so I found a seat towards the back where there was a power point to charge my devices:

The vessel doesn't look like a typical ferry at all, but more like a cruise ship (although I haven't been on one myself)


There're slot machines for passengers who need to while away time on the high seas:

It was around 4:00am and in the low season (read: not many passengers), therefore the slot machines were not switched on.


Passengers who don't play slot machines may window shop: 



There is a section upstairs for First Class Passengers. However the area was not accessible at that time:



Just like airlines, Virtu Ferries has its own in-house magazine too:



It can get choppy on the high seas and Virtu Ferries have prepared vomit bags:



If you decide to travel from Malta to Sicily, do consider taking the ferry. It is convenient, safe and comfortable.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...