Saturday 20 April 2024

English language Mass at the Church of St Benedict in Catania

(Information correct as at November 2023)

Visitors in Catania who wish to attend English language Mass would naturally go to the Metropolitan Cathedral of St Agatha

However, there are no English language Mass celebrated there. Furthermore, the website is in Italian and the Mass times are not updated in the website.

The Metropolitan Cathedral of St Agatha is located at Piazza del Duomo in Catania.


When I went to the cathedral to see if they had English language Mass, I was pleasantly surprised to see a notice on the bulletin board that English language Mass is celebrated at the Church of Saint Benedict which is located 350m away from the cathedral. 

English language Mass is celebrated at the Church of St Benedict on Sundays and Solemnities at 11:00am.



I quickly used Google Maps and navigated myself to the church.

Along the way, I saw information on the history and significance of the church. Here, read the information before I show you to the interiors of the church:



When I found the church and entered it, I could only gap in amazement at the interiors, particularly the ceiling:

The sentence in the information board outside the Church of St Benedict, describing it as "Among the most important churches of the Sicilian baroque and among the most beautiful in Europe" is true indeed.


Since I was the first person who arrived for Mass, the person-in-charge invited me to become lector for the First Reading. I was delighted at the opportunity and agreed immediately. It was the Feast of Christ the King.

Here are more pics of the church:







So if you wish to attend English language Mass in Catania, make your way to the Church of St Benedict. English language Mass is celebrated there on Sundays and Solemnities at 11:00am.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...