Sunday 25 March 2012

Eat Cheaply at Monte Carlo Restaurant in Paris, France

We've all heard that Paris is an expensive city to visit. You'll need to dig deep into your pockets to visit this city. Some people even have the perception that those who visit Paris are wealthy.

If you're planning your budget for a trip to Paris, let me give you an idea how much a meal would cost.

When I was in Paris late last year, Mike introduced me to a restaurant near the Arc de Triomphe called Monte Carlo which serves one of the most reasonably priced meals in the area.

I had dinner almost everyday in Monte Carlo. If I had stayed longer in Paris, the staff would probably know me on a first name basis :P



Monte Carlo serves a variety of dishes, desserts and drinks. It's self-service here, so just pick up a tray and choose whatever you want.

The variety of soft drinks available. Not shown in the photo is the wine counter :-)



A set meal comprising three dishes, a dessert and a drink will set you back € 10.50. Convert this into your own currency and see whether Paris is expensive as claimed by most people.

I chose chicken, steamed veg and fries for dinner that day. For dessert I opted for egg custard (one of my fav dessert) and wine for my drink. Always choose wine if you want to get your money's worth. But then again, wine is cheap in Paris and the rest of Europe compared to Asia.



Because prices are reasonable in Monte Carlo, the place is usually packed during lunch and dinner. If you want to skip the crowd, go early.

I would definitely eat at Monte Carlo again if I return to Paris. Food is reasonably priced (by Paris standards) and the ambience is warm and cosy. Staff are also friendly and most of them speak English.

For another review on Monte Carlo, click here.


Monte Carlo Restaurant
9 Avenue Wagram (stone's throw from Arch de Triomphe)
75017 Paris
Tel: 01 43 80 02 20
Website


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Euro 10.50 for a set meal? Wow.. that is definitely cheap! And the servings look large too!

Julie Lim said...

Hi Juphelia,

I knew you Singaporeans would say 10.50 Euros is cheap, hahaha. I saw a few money changers displaying the exchange rates for the Singaporean Dollar, which probably means there are many Singaporeans in Paris. They never do that for the Malaysian Ringgit!

gbeejipp said...

The price is still ok by Paris standard. We'll just hv to avoid doing the auto-converting in our head. :-D

Julie Lim said...

Hi Jipp,

I think you're right cause I didn't see any other restaurant in Paris that has prices lower than Monte Carlo's, and especially for that quality of food.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...