Sunday 11 August 2019

3 Interesting Things to See on Lokrum Island

This is a throwback post to the time when I made a day-trip to Lokrum Island in Dubrovnik, Croatia in September 2017.

Getting to Lokrum Island

Ferries leave from the Old Port (Gradska luka) in Old Town Dubrovnik to Lokrum Island. The ride takes about 10 minutes.

This is the ferry that I took:

The fare (return trip) was 120 Kuna (as at September 2017). It's now 150 Kuna (I checked the website).


After about 15 minutes, the ferry reached Lokrum Island:




The first signboard that greet visitors reminded that the last ferry to leave the island was 6.00pm. The time changes periodically so make sure you check the time when you arrive on the island. The latest ferry timetable is also available here.

'Is is forbidden to stay on the island after the last departure of the boat!' 
I wonder what happens to visitors who miss that last ferry. Where will they stay since there's no lodging on the island? Will they get fined by the authorities? So make sure you don't overlook the time and miss the ferry. 


There was no entrance fee to the island. The ferry ticket was the only cost to get to the island.



There're no vehicles on the island, so you have to walk everywhere, but it's not a super huge island anyway.

You don't have to worry about getting lost because all locations are marked clearly by signboards such as this:

The numbers indicate the route number based on the map of the island here
The numbers are not the distance or time taken to walk to that particular spot.


So what's to see on Lokrum Island? Some of the notable spots include The Bay of Portoc, The Monastery Complex, Botanical Gardens, etc.

Here are the Top 3 items that I like about Lokrum Island:

No. 1: Game of Thrones (GoT) Exhibition Centre

This centre is a dream come true for all GoT fans because this stone building ...



... houses the Iron Throne:

Visitors are allowed to sit on the throne for pics. 
Since there were not many people around, I took so many photos that will make selfie queens green with envy. I used one of the pics as my WhatsApp profile photo and got many questions on where did I find the Iron Throne. Well, now you know.


Apart from the Iron Throne, the centre has an exhibition about the popular drama series especially about its filming locations in Croatia. The centre was too dark to take pics.

Here's a little info I found in the centre on The Benedictine Curse:

Scary.


No. 2: Rabbits everywhere

Before coming to Lokrum Island, the guide for one of the walking tours in Dubrovnik said that there're many rabbits running free on the island.

Apparently someone had brought a pair of rabbits to Lokrum Island, the rabbits bred like rabbits (pun intended) and now there're so many of them.

The guide said visitors can take the rabbits home because they're breeding rapidly, but I didn't see anyone doing so.

Here's a photo of the rabbits eating, sleeping and chilling on a field:

The rabbits seems to hang out on this field only. I didn't see rabbits in other parts of the island.


Sometimes you have to look hard as they're hiding in the bushes:

Can you see me?


They like to dig holes and bury themselves in it:



Apart from rabbits, there're also peacocks on Lokrum Island:



Peacocks are bold birds who're not afraid to come up to strangers, like this one who came up to me as I was lazing on a lounge chair:



One rabbit also came up to me and here's a pic of it running away before I could touch it:



Random photo of my pedicured feet:

The weather was beautiful that I slept on that lounge chair for about 2 hours.


No. 3: Fort Royal

Fort Royal is located towards the east side of the island and is a bit of a walk through the forest to get there:



Here's a pic of Fort Royal from outside:

Fort Royal is essentially a ruin which was too dark to take pics inside.


The fort is located on a hill with views such as this:



It was drizzling when I reached Fort Royal and a rainbow appeared:

A rainbow is a rare sight and makes me feel all tingly whenever I see one.


After roaming around Fort Royal, I made my way back to the opening where I had entered the area. But I couldn't find it! And there was no one around to ask for directions.

At that point I thought I should have marked the trail with bright red ribbons or leave a trail of bread crumbs like Hansel & Gretel.

After walking around in circles I managed to find the inconspicuous opening and started running to the ferry area. It was almost 6.00pm!

I managed to reach the port about 20 minutes before 6.00pm. Thank heavens for that!

So do keep in mind of the time if you visit Lokrum Island.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...