Tuesday 28 October 2008

Drunk Driving - Would You Get Into The Car ?

Would you get into a car with a drunk driver?

A couple of weeks back I was at the club with a few friends. One of them whom I'm closest with, had one drink too many. By the time we left she was already speaking funny and could not walk straight.

She insisted on driving me home like always, but I politely refused her offer. You see, previously she was not so intoxicated and could still pass a breathalyzer test. This time she had gone a wee bit overboard. In fact, this is the first time I'm seeing her like that.

So I advised her to leave her car in the parking lot and take the cab home. She could always collect her car the next day. But she insisted she was ok and insisted on driving me home.

I was torn in getting into the car, and torn in letting her drive home alone, but I knew too well the consequences of getting into a car with a drunk driver.

Another disappointment was her BF couldn't be bothered bout her. He just kissed her goodnight and scooted off to God knows where. Idiot!

So in the end she drove home alone and thank God eveything was ok. But I did not expect what would happen the next day.

Early next morning she posted a nasty comment on her Facebook status (but without mentioning my name). She told me to take a hike because I didn't trust her driving skills. She claimed she knew what she was doing despite being intoxicated.

I was angry and disappointed that my good intentions had backfired. I calmly sent her a message and asked why all the animosity. She said she was disappointed in me ... blah ... blah ... blah ...

She also said her boyfriend (yeah, the idiotic SOB) was also disappointed in me ... the nerve on that bugger!

To cut a long story short, I held my ground and calmly explained why I did what I had to do.

And if you're wondering if the friendship survived, yes it did. Cause I guess at the end of the day, she knows deep down inside that she took a huge risk on her own life and on the lives of innocent people.

4 comments:

David Eugene said...

Hi Julie,

YOU ARE AWESOME AND A WINNER! I love to hear stories like this! First of all, you don’t need friends like that. Let her take a hike. She’s obviously somebody who needs to learn things the hard way. Sure she made it home and may make it home again and again in the future. The problem here is when somebody drives “tipsy” and makes it home, it makes it easier to do the next time without having to make a “tough decision about it”. It becomes “second nature”. You go to the bar have as many drinks as you want and then drive home. “Getting a DUI or getting in an accident could never happen to me.” This way of thinking happens a countless number of times everyday. Eventually, the law of averages will catch up. It could be the very next time she drives drunk or it could be 10 years down the road or longer before she gets busted or gets in an accident and hurts somebody.

I applaud you for having the guts to say something. Who cares what she thinks. You had her best interest at heart and she obviously doesn’t recognize that. You don’t need friends like this anyway. Part of being successful in life and going through life with a sense of peace is surrounding yourself with “winners” and good people. You definitely want to stay away from people who have the potential to bring you down. Take the high road and let her go (not just because she drove “tipsy” but mainly because she blasted you for trying to do the right thing.

Dave
ReasonsToStaySober.com

Julie Lim said...

Dear Dave,

It is so refreshing to read a comment like that from you! Thank you!

I totally agree with you that whenever someone makes it home tipsy, he/she will have the confidence to do it again. And the challenge is to change mindsets like that.

You have an awesome website and I applaud your initiatives and efforts in promoting a sober lifestyle.

May God bless you and your work tremendously!

David Eugene said...

Thank you for the compliments. Keep choosing wisely.

Best of luck to you!

Dave

Salt N Turmeric said...

Julie, i cant believe she did tht to you. I mean, if she insisted on driving, so be it. But saying tht you dont trust her driving because she was drunk is stupid. plain and simple.

and tht bf of hers, cant even begin to describe wht kinda man he is. grrr.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...