Friday, 21 August 2009

Home Quarantine (Part 2)

Here I am typing this entry on a stormy Friday evening. Nope, I've not kicked the bucket yet although there were many times it felt like the end.

My fever went down slightly on Wednesday. And when I was looking forward towards a full recovery, something else happened.

I fell asleep on the couch and woke up with a start at 2.30am because I had forgotten to take my medicine.

My last meal was about 5.00pm and by 2.30am I was a bit hungry. I know doctor's orders is to take medicine after meals, but because I was too sleepy and wanted to hit the sack, I just had 3 pieces of cheese and then consumed cough mixture, antihistamines and Panadol.

The next morning I woke up with an excruciating tummy ache, an arsehole that was waiting to expel it's contents and a face full of red spots.

Taking medicine on an empty stomach really screwed up my tummy. And the red spots on my face were caused by an allergic reaction to the medicine.

I immediately made myself a sandwich and tea, and went back to sleep.

When I woke up, the tummy ache had gone and the red spots on my face had lessen.

And then the fever came back.

I became a bit panic because one of the H1N1 symptoms is a returning fever. I called the doctor and asked if I should get myself admitted to a hospital. He said I shouldn't worry as long as I don't have breathing difficulties. Moreover it's pointless to get admitted cause there are not enough beds in the hospitals - government or private.

The doctor advised to continue sponging myself and to drink plenty of fluids.

Food was running out at the apartment. I called my housemate to buy some apples, grapes, fruit juice and dinner of rice and chicken curry. I was sick of soup and instant noodles.

It took me 2 hours to finish eating dinner. By the time I finished I was very weak and I thought I might not wake up if I had gone to sleep. But sleep I did - for a good 10 hours.

When I woke up this morning the fever was completely gone.

It's been about 12-hours since I woke up and there are still no signs of a returning fever, although I still have a slight cough. Dave said my body must have fully rested and built up its immunity in that 10-hours of sleep; and I think he's right.

I look forward to a full recovery soon as I am sick of being sick. It sucks.


Angie Tan said...

Geezz, take good care and get well SOON Julie !!

Julie Lim said...

Yes I will! Thanks for your wishes, Angie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...